Saturday, April 19, 2014

Mesh Shirt

So, I remembered that I  made this shirt a while back, but never really shared the pattern with anyone, so...Why not now?


I posted this shirt on knittingparadise when I made it, and it seemed to get a lot of interest, so I suppose I might as well share how I made it.

Materials
....a yarn and a hook that makes a mesh the size that you'd like.
Personally, I used Red Heart 4 play yarn and an I hook; however it wouldn't be too hard to modify it to fit finer or bulkier yarn.


I did not write down what I did exactly,  but I do remember pretty much how I made it.

First, you measure right above your bust, and then make a chain about that size (It needs to be a multiple of 5).  Join in the round by slip stitching into your first chain.

Then sc 3 rows, in the round. Ch 8, and treble crochet in the 6th sc . then ch 4, and treble crochet into the 5th sc from the previous row. (this creates the meshness). Ch. 4 and crochet into the 5th stitch all the way round until you reach the end of the round. Ch 4 and slip stitch into the 4th ch from the beginning chain.

Just keeping doing this till the shirt is as long as it needs to be. (mine was about fifteen rows, not counting the sc at beginning).

Then just do 10 rows of sc at the end, (sc into every sc and sc4 into every gap for the first row) bind off, and weave in your ends.

Now the straps... remember that this is your own shirt, and your straps can be however you want them to be. Mine are about 2" wide, but you can, of course, make yours thinner. 

Reattach the yarn where your straps need to be (this depends on how big you made your shirt. just put the tube on, and find where the straps should be (it's a good idea to mark this with some pins, in the front and back), take it off, and make sure they're even.) sc in rows (until the strap is long enough (Mine were about 14 inches. If you're unsure of the length, use the length from a tank top). Once it's the length you want, just slip stitch to the back of the shirt, bind off and weave in the ends, then repeat with the other strap.

Lastly....The sleeves

You're basically following the same pattern as the shirt.

Measure your arm, and make a chain in a multiple of 5 that fits this length. (obviously you're going to need to add an inch or two for some slack)

sc the 1st row, then follow the treble crochet pattern from the body of the shirt. Bind off when it's as long as you want (mine was 6 rows not counting the sc) Make two. Sew the non-bordered side to the body of the shirt., as if you're going to sew it all the way around, but...just leave the top part open. (I hope that makes sense.)

Make sure you try the shirt on before you sew on the sleeves. I suggest pinning them on where they need to be, then sewing it.

Weave in all your ends and that's pretty much it!

I apologize for any mistakes...I made this a looong loong loooooooooooooooooong time ago, so if anything is incorrect, please let me know.




Here' s my info for knittingparadise if anyone was interested...
http://www.knittingparadise.com/user_profile.jsp?usernum=27305
though I doubt anyone would be :P


Happy Crocheting!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, this is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is FIERCE!! I can't wait to get started making this... I think I'll add little bows to the straps! Thanks for sharing!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Thanks so much for sharing! I am going to make the sleeves longer. Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very cute. After almost completing the body, I think it would be better to gauge the pattern towards your hip rather than bust measurement. I found it to be a little tight. How do you sew the sleeves on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sleeves I sewed on just with the same yarn I made the shirt with. Honestly, it was so long ago, I can't remember the specifics. It would probably be a good idea to put the shirt on, slip the sleeves up your arms, and pin them to the shirt wherever it is most comfortable. (I hope this is what you were asking about!)

    ReplyDelete